Leeds G&S Society is probably the country's oldest and best Gilbert & Sullivan society based in the heart of Leeds. We perform two main shows per year, with additional concerts throughout. We perform both Musical Theatre and Light Opera. Tickets to our shows can be bought through the City Centre box office or through any member of the society. Find out about our next show, about us and how to join right here.
Our history is steeped in Light Opera - in fact we were first known as Hunslet St Silas Choral and Operatic Society in 1909. For 50 years between 1954 and 2014 we mostly performed Gilbert & Sullivan operettas. The G&S cannon will always be a key part of our repertoire, with The Mikado and H.M.S. Pinafore (which was rehearsed and ready but cancelled due to the 2020 pandemic) chosen in recent years. We then combine other musical theatre shows, with Kiss Me Kate, Guys & Dolls, and Sweeney Todd all performed in recent years. In short, we love shows where we get to challenge ourselves against musical classics with enough challenge and fun involved.
SMALLER AUTUMN PRODUCTIONS
Following the huge success of Jimmy Robert's I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, Leeds G&S Society branched out into Musical Theatre. Most notably we have performed:
- Stephen Sondheim's Into The Woods which won LCAG Best Musical Production 2015
- Rachel Sheinkin's 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
- Jerry Bock's She Loves Me
FANCY A LISTEN?
Like so many, we felt disconnected and perhaps a little alone in 2020. So we followed the craze and recorded a piece of Gilbert & Sullivan choral singing.
"Hail Poetry" is a delightful short section from The Pirates Of Penzance. In 2020 it was a way to reconnect and to sing together again, in a way. Now it is a great example of the music we create in the society.
Congratulations are in Order
Leeds G&S up for a hatful of awards
The 2022 Leeds Community Arts Network Awards evening will be on September 3rd. LG&S and our members have been nominated in the bucketful for Sweeney Todd. Our fingers are crossed for us all on the big night but not everyone can win (not least because we are often competing with ourselves). The most important is the long list of 12 nominations emphasises what a great show Sweeney Todd was.
- Best Supporting Female in a Musical - Anna Halliday
- Best Supporting Female in a Musical - Emma Kennedy
- Best Supporting Male in a Musical - Kristian Cleworth
- Best Supporting Male in a Musical - Danny Kelly
- Best Supporting Male in a Musical - Matthew Oglesby
- Best Supporting Male in a Musical - Richard Pascoe
- Best Supporting Male in a Musical - Matt Stirk
- Best Leading Female in a Musical - Jasmine Caine
- Best Leading Male in a Musical - Jason Weightman
- Best Poster Design
- Dave Peters Award for Best Visual Presentation
- Best Musical
Richard and Judith are also up for the "Outstanding Service" award - both have for decades been such tireless and dedicated leaders behind the scenes. All fingers and toes are crossed for this one...
- Sue Elliott Outstanding Service Award Richard Naylor & Judith Smith
Click to find out more about LCAN Awards.
Leeds Gilbert & Sullivan Society is a registered charity, number: 500738